Monday, June 28, 2010

Gotta do

... faith without deeds is dead. James 2:26

I know it has been a while since I have written anything. I have continued to meditate on Mondays and be thankful on Thursdays. After last weeks meditation, I felt like I couldn't quite grasp what was swirling in my head to put it in a coherent form. I felt like I needed to think about it more. I have thought about it over the past week. Last week I meditated on Isaiah 58. It talked about false practices - where you go through the motions but once you are done you think about it no more. I think my meditation has become that for me to some extent. At first I was concerned because when I was depresses last year that is how my whole Christian walk became.

At the beginning of the year, when I began my weekly meditation it was a chance to refocus and reconnect with God. The last month or so I haven't felt as connected to Him, like he isn't showing up for my meditation time. I think part of it was the routineness of it (I never thought about the verse I was meditation on outside of the Monday time), but another part is because I have outgrown it. I am not saying that I should continue to meditate on the Word of God. But if that is all I am doing then it will eventually stop feeding my needs. I need to take the next step to deepen my faith. I need to take the 2 dimensional words on the page and and the 3rd dimension (depth). How do I do that?

My class has been going through a study called Interupted. It is about service, particularly to "the least of these". As I was thinking about what we have been talking about and the passage from last week (which happened to be a passage we looked at during the study) and today James 26 kept repeating in my head.

I have recently applied for a few jobs (I have an interview on Thursday) and I updated my resume. I list my community involvement on my resume. I work in administration and I have done a lot of community events that require good organizational and administrative skills. Anyways, I was looking at the dates and realized I have not done anything in more than a year. I have always been very service oriented and I think that is a missing piece.

We finished out study this past Sunday and wasn't sure what to do for next Sunday. We had done a round of introduction a few Sundays ago as there were a few visitors and we were to mention our July 4th plans and no one had any. A few days later it was laid on my heart that we should do service that day. The church will only have 1 worship service so we can get started a little earlier than Sunday School time without making anyone miss worship. So we are going on Sunday morning to serve breakfast at a housing development that our church is starting to build relationships.

I don't know why I didn't make the connection earlier. Service is a big part of submission. Service requires you to think about someone else, to make time in your schedule, and often requires you to humble yourself.

1 comment:

  1. It is good that you see the need to put God's word into action in your life. Often times I find myself going through the motions too, and often times that is when I also find my life falling apart at the seams. Faith without works is indeed dead, but works without faith is also wrong. Remember to take a moment and check your heart for correct motives. Are you doing this to make yourself feel better? Or are you doing this to serve God? It is always a good idea to ask yourself this because many times when we think we are doing a good deed, the goodness of it is cancelled out by wrong motives. Have fun while you serve God in this area on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete